Monday, October 10, 2011

Grant's favorite past-times




Grant's favorite things to do at 27ish months:
The usual climbing, distructing, saying "nope", looking cute (LOL), playing...


In addition to that, here are a few of my favorites:


1)  Playing Pretend:  In the last couple weeks, Grant has woken up and decided he was going to be a "doggie" for the day.  So I go into his room and he greets me with a 'ruff-ruff' and pawing on his crib rails...he also sniffs and licks for kisses.  I have no idea how he learned that this is what dogs do, but he did and he does a pretty good impersonation of them!  His other favorite things to pretend to be are:  Babies (cries and asks for milky), dinosaurs, lions and monsters (the last three sound identical...so sometimes I guess wrong ; ) ).  His latest pretend is to have Mommy pretend to be something..."momma baby" is his favorite.  I'll start crying and he'll bring me pretend milk and cover me in a blankie...oh and of course give me kisses!  I'm not going to lie, it's freaking adorably sweet...until he turns into a monster and scares the crap out of 'baby momma'.  So typical ; )


2)  Eating!!:  Okay, Grant has always been a vegetarian (I call him a vegemite), even when he was in-utero, he didn't let me feed him meat (first five months made me sick)!  Anyway, but other than that he was a really good eater.  Until around 20 months...then all of a sudden he wouldn't eat.  And so I did what I said I would always do if I had a kid that wouldn't eat or was a picking eater...feed him the same meal until he ate it (or until it got gross, even for me).  I did that pretty well for a couple months, the whole time knowing he was winning the battle.  Then my mom saw him for the first time in awhile and was like, 'wow, beck grant's lost some weight' (saying it just as an observation...have no idea the battle that was going on in my house.  That was all I needed to give up on my theory (given I have my own crazy fear of starving...knowing my poor kid was 'starving' (not really of course), was too much to handle).  What proceeded in the few months that followed was madness!  Breakfast was always his best meal, so that was no biggie...and 9 out of 10 times he slept through lunch, which left dinner...the nightmare meal.  During dinner, one of us would be the entertainer/distractor and the other would be in charge of shoveling food into Grant's mouth.  It was pretty embarrassing.  But he ate!!  I am just glad there wasn't a video camera there...seriously most night I would think, '..and for my next trick...' as if I was a freaking circus performer...shoot both of us were...pilots (zooming food into his mouth), trains (choo choo'ing food into his mouth), dinosaurs (roaring and explaining that dinosaurs need to eat to be big and strong)...seriously, it wasn't fun.  Anyway, I think we have turned a corner!!  First off we try and eat earlier...even if Daddy's not home (which sucks), that way Grant's not on his last leg at dinner and secondly, he just eats now!  Just the other day for the FIRST time ever, he asked to eat!!  Which must have meant he was freaking HUNGRY!! (Praying this post does not jinx it!)


3)  Scaring the crap out of Daddy:  So this one is my favorite...cuz it's just so darn funny!  Let me try and paint the picture...Grant and Daddy walk in from the garage, (talking about the day and giggling) into the empty dark house and all of sudden Grant stops talking, freezes and points.  Then starts jibber-jabbering in the direction he is pointing.  And looking back and forth at the dark corner and Daddy...in all seriousness.  Well given the amount of scary movies my hubby has seen, this completely freaks him out, like Grant is seeing something in the corner.  In one of these instances Grant point to his cardboard house, so Eric puts Grant down and slowly walks over to the cardboard house, knowing the whole time that a slimy gremlin is going to jump out at him.  I'm watching this whole thing unfold and am doing my best to not laugh.  So I turn on the light and Daddy asks Grant to tell him what he saw, but Grant is over it...meanwhile Daddy is going to look for baseball bat (okay, not really).  He's done it a couple more times, always in a different dark room...each time equally scary Daddy and making me laugh.  Then finally we realized he his talking about the 'dark'...usually he says something to the effect of, "shhhhh, the dark is nite nite", while putting his finger to his lips and then points at the 'dark'.  So that was it, no scary monster or slimy gremlin...but, man it was so fun while it lasted!!  (Honestly, I'm not sure if Daddy is convinced that Grant is just talking to the 'dark'...so I still may get some laughs out of this one for a bit! I hope!!)


4) Oh and one I don't think I fully appreciate (because it was so easy)...and will surely be proven wrong after I write it down.  Grant is 95% potty trained.  Still a diaper at nap and bedtime, so not totally.  He's been accident free for a couple months...and is finally telling me he has to go!!  (Note for me:  First time going potty on 'big boy potty', 19months...started 'training' 22 months.)

1 comment:

J&I&O's mommy said...

heehee he he. I can still remember the exact place we were standing when i think it was a dr. friend you were telling me about that said it was as simple as just not feeding the kid til he ate the food you made for him, that it's not like they're gonna starve or anything. I held my tongue. :-) Yes it works sometimes, and our boys have gone to bed hungry plenty of times, but cure a picky eater it will not. If anything, it only shows just how strong willed children can be!
And Grant, please hurry up and get here so you can teach your almost 3 yr. old cousin how to do the deed in the toilet. The boy treats his poop like a security blanket- It may stink, but it's soft and warm, and it's mine.