Sunday, July 24, 2011

Blueberry Picking...Eating

 


Along with all other fruits and veges, my little "vegemite" loves blueberries!  Ever since he was a baby, it has been his top five favorite foods...you could ask, "Grant, do you want a cookie or blueberry...?" and 9 times out of ten he would say 'buberry!" and then reach for both ; )  But you get the idea, the boy (probably like most little ones) can never get enough ; )

So earlier this summer we decided to go pick some at a local farm.  Silly me didn't take pictures of the farm (I need to get better at this blogging thing), but of course got some cute pics of Mr. Blueberry himself ; )



It's a super cute farm, as far as I could tell only sold/grew blueberries, "u-pick" or "pre-picked".  There is a little old lady that does a storytime in the morning and cute farmers that 'instruct' visitors on proper picking technique ; ) (Like really, how hard is it to pick a blueberry?...but they are serious, or should I say, passionate about their crop.  Which I love and think is funny.).  

The day we were there, it was pretty packed with little ones and their parents (mostly moms), I think a "mom's club" was there or something.  I mean the farm was big enough that you didn't run in to anyone, but you just had to walk a few row further back to avoid the 'over picked' front rows.  Grant and I found a row where there wasn't anyone and seemed to be good clusters of blueberries and got started.  : )

"Oh Blueberry!"


It was so cute to see Grant go from complete indifference to our little trip, to realizing that the plants he was looking at had Blue Gold on them!  It was almost like he thought we were at Home Depot or something just riding (he was on his 'push' tricycle) looking at plants...just enjoying the outing.  And then when I pointed out a Blueberry on a branch, I could see his little brain working...then of course once he ate one, he really got it (though blueberries usually come from Momma's refridgerator...these special ones come from a plant!)!  And as everyone knows, you can't just eat one blueberry... ; )  Needless to say, I did most of the picking and saving, and Grant just picked and ate ; ) 


For weeks after this every plant he saw had blueberries on it....don't you just love little brains?  Unfortunatly, the blueberry season is only 6 weeks long...so we only got to go to the farm once : (   There's always next year!  ; )

 

3 comments:

J&I&O's mommy said...

BRING HIM HERE! BRING HIM HERE! BRING HIM HERE! (That's me chanting)

J&I&O's mommy said...

Tell grant we have a bazillion buberries here and tons of other types of berries to pick too and Aunt Michele would take him every day to go eat them.

J&I&O's mommy said...

And tell your husband to face time me very soon before my nephew changes some more and all of a sudden is graduating from high school.