Saturday, August 20, 2011

Field Trip to San Juan Capistrano Mission

Last trip of the Summer...

   Heath and I took the kids (with Rachel's Nana and Nana2) to San Juan Capistrano Mission...but what was cool about it was we took the TRAIN to get there!!

Both Grant and Rachel love toy trains and the times that Grant has seen trains in real life he gets super excited, so we thought they would be crazy excited to ride in one!  Eh...Grant was excited but, maybe still a bit to young to understand that they were IN a train.  He looked out the window and yelled when he saw other trains in the train yard or other track, but mostly after 10mins was over it and wanted to run around (typical two year old).  Here's a quick video of Grant on the train : )



Oh shoot I am getting ahead of myself...here is a pic of the kiddos waiting for the train...they were super excited: 



Got to the Mission ; )



Played in the fountains...




Played in the bushes and trees...






...and unfortunately played with a cactus...




Stopped playing for two seconds to take cute picture with me and Rach...




 

And Heath and I had to take a pic together too...Arn't we a cute couple?



This is pretty much what I looked at all day...

Grant was on an adventure...he was leaving no dark alcove unlooked, door unopened, bench unclimbed, tomb unslid down (yeah, he used a priest's tomb as a slide...I didn't realize we were in the cemetary portion until it was too late...zoikes!  I was wondering why people were looking at us weird, I thought the kids (read Grant) were doing really good.  Heath said she saw some guy give us super dirty look...oops sorry).  Grant loved going in every room/exhibit to check it out...it was like he knew if he kept looking he was going to find the treasure!  I kept relating it to two things:  1.  Eric/Luke/Bo and video games, how he'll go room to room to try and find guns/health/poisonous mushroom (LOL!) and tear the level apart looking under everything for the one weapon that will allow him to move to the next level or save the princess or whatever nerdy thing he needs to do...and also 2.  When I was a kid and we would visit these kind of places and Daryll and I would go explore and try and find something unexplored or a secret passage way or a room full of candy!!  Well Daryll was probably looking for money half the time (not, really, but he had a crazy way of finding money laying on the ground...it's weird, but it happened all the time to him when he was a kid), we were looking for adventure and had to make sure we looked everywhere so we didn't miss out!!  Anyway, watching Grant totally reminded me of that...so I just let him go find his treasure...not sure if he did though...the cactus was pretty cool!  ; )


And because we were with my responsible friend we didn't miss the train...which was a good thing cuz the kiddos were done and done!  Grant was asleep before I left the parking lot!  He was so tired he didn't know what to think, he asked for a snack, I gave it to him...he took one bite and fell asleep.  Then when we got home  (still in car) he woke up, took another bite (like the hour nap didn't happen), said thank you and again fell asleep...tired  freaking baby!  But pretty impressed he said thank you, when he was half asleep!!  : )

4 comments:

Karen said...

That is a way bummer about the encounter with the cactus. That boy has some really good manners Beck. Saying thank you half asleep. CUTE!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how big Grant has gotten! He's not a baby anymore-he's a little boy now! And P.S.-the picture of the two of them next to the bell-Rachel is definitely a Crouch baby! She just needs to be under water making that face! It totally cracked me up!

Love, Brianne

J&I&O's mommy said...

Oh man the cactus scratches pictures made me gasp out loud and say "Oh poor baby!" I was all happy reading along about the fun times then wham! you put up little injured grant when we can't even give him hugs to make it all better. But i'm sure he probably got over it in about two seconds anyway. Love the looks on rachel's face in her pictures with grant. What a cool day!

Anonymous said...

Love you guys. So happy I get to be a part of this. Thanks for sharing. Auntie M